Puerto Rico

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Unsatisfied Cravings

Unsatisfied Cravings
By: Lillian Bocquin
I typically can’t make a decision on what to eat without some sort of guidance. Not only am I bad at decisions but I don’t typically crave any specific type of food. But all of that changed when I visited Puerto Rico.

The food in Puerto Rico has extremely rich flavor. Most things to eat there are thick, decadent, or deeply flavorful. Our class had the opportunity to cook several authentic Puerto Rican during our stay that included a delicious curry-like meal served over rice that was easily my favorite. (And also the one I cooked!)

Macintosh HD:Users:Guest:Desktop:Kioskos.jpg
Photo by Lilly, The kioskos at Luquillo

However, the best meal I had all week came from a small kiosko down the road from our condo we were staying in. A kiosko is a small restaurant or shop similar to a food truck. The meal was a well-known dish called Mofungo.The dish is made from mashed plantains formed into the shape of a bowl, and this bowl houses deliciously cooked pork and vegetables in a wonderful sauce.
Macintosh HD:Users:Guest:Desktop:Mofungo.jpg
Photo by Lilly, To-go Mofungo from a kiosko

The meal was one of the best-flavored things I had eaten in my life, and especially while I was in Puerto Rico. Since our departure, I have been craving it. I have been trying to find similar dishes that are easier to make at home or order in a restaurant. I have even reached out to my friends I know are from Puerto Rican descent just to see if they will help me make it or invite me over to try their own cooking. I don’t usually desire specific food, but I’ll need to fix this Mofungo craving soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment