Puerto Rico

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Travel the world in my home

By Maddy Payne
  
            My childhood was not the typical childhood. I grew up all over the world, and so far I have spent just over ten years of my life overseas. Growing up, I experienced many different cultures, and my house has come to reflect every single one of them in some way, shape or form. From Beijing, China my house holds old, tiny slippers that were fashioned for the women with bound feet. From Italy, my house holds beautiful stained glass pieces including crosses and sculptures which were bought at the one of the numerous stores found by the gondolas floating in nearby canals. From Egypt, my house holds miniature statues with ancient hieroglyphics. London, Jakarta, Paris, Africa, Finland and New Zealand are a few other paces that have made a mark in my life and in my home, but the list goes on.

            My home is unique because it truly reflects all I have been exposed to and everywhere I have been. Traveling is a huge part of my life – it’s how I grew up – and my family and I make an effort to collet something unique from every new place we explore. Moreover, since we have traveled so many places, we have tried many different types of foods. My family loves to cook and our travels and past are reflected in the food we make. Some nights it is broiled, buttered Chilean sea bass that melts in your mouth with a side of grilled bell peppers and onions. And other nights consist of steamed white rice, sautéed chicken marinated in soy sauce and honey with a side of garlic steamed asparagus heads. From many of the places we have lived or visited, we will recreate meals we had when we were there. When you spend time with my family and in my home you can see, taste, smell, touch and experience all the different cultures, and hear all the unique stories we have to tell you. 

Glass art from Venice, Italy. 


Tiny shoes from Beijing, China. 


An obelisk and a small pharaoh statue from Giza, Egypt. 

Check out:
http://www.zestrip.net/blog/en/blog/2016/05/20/the-top-10-art-galleries-in-venice/
http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listings/living/living_abroad/living_abroad_by_country.shtml
http://www.china-tour.cn/People-And-Customs/Chinese-Feet-binding.htm

Tags: Home, travel, explore, diversity, food

Email: maddy.payne@ou.edu
Website: maddy.payne.weebly.com
Twitter: @maddypayne397

No comments:

Post a Comment