Puerto Rico

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Connecting with Others

By: Heather Ricchi

Growing up in a Christian home my faith has always been extremely important to me. I had no idea that studying abroad in Puerto Rico and learning about the five pillars of tourism would allow me to learn about an attraction that is treasured by Puerto Ricans, and is extremely important to their faith.


The Three Kings parade is a historic festival has been celebrated in this tiny Puerto Rican town for the past 133 years, and across Christendom for millennia. Getting to experience this event was incredible and my favorite part of my study abroad experience in Puerto Rico. Walking into the festival I was a little overwhelmed at first by the celebration and music surrounding a crowd of swarming people in the streets. I did not know that this event was so important to Puerto Ricans, but I soon learned that this festival brought Puerto Ricans that lived in the Unites States back to Puerto Rico to celebrate. This celebration allowed me to really feel as if I were a local for the day. At this festival I got to worship our amazing God with people who I had never met before. This was a memory that I will never forget. Looking back on my experience at the Three Kings Celebration I am amazed that I got to study and learn about a famous Puerto Rican tradition, but at the same time I got to express my Catholic faith with others. Getting to connect with the people at the festival that share the same religion as me was remarkable.
People from all over the world travel to Puerto Rico to experience the Three Kinds Parade.

                Authentic Puerto Rican cuisine can be bought at the Three Kings Celebration.
                      Excitement filled the streets as King Gaspar walked in the parade. 
Links:
https://www.whychristmas.com/story/wisemen.shtml
http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/three-kings-2012/
http://gopuertorico.about.com/od/eventsandholidays/tp/The-History-And-Meaning-Of-Three-Kings-Day-In-Puerto-Rico.htm

Contact Information: 
Email: Heather.a.ricchi10@ou.edu
Phone: 214-551-2715
Twitter: @heatherricchi4
Facebook: @heatherricchi
Instagram: @heatherricchi

No comments:

Post a Comment