Puerto Rico

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

A New Adventure

By: Andee Gentry


Puerto Rico was not a place I had visited or knew much about until this program. I studied abroad in Arezzo, Italy last summer and loved it so I knew this would be a great opportunity to see, experience, and understand a new culture. 
Before arriving to Puerto Rico, I knew I would be in a new place with different beliefs, lifestyles, and language. Study abroad gives students the opportunity to create new friendships and explore the world with people of the same age and a passion for traveling. Although I had only known two people going into this trip, I came out of the program with new friends and memories. 
Before we left for Puerto Rico, the class took a trip to Fort Worth, Texas in order to explore a different culture and area apart from Norman, Oklahoma. In Fort Worth, I was able to observe Texas history and a town that revolves around a western lifestyle. With horses and cattle all around us, we were able to see how a town operates differently from the one we live in. By being exposed to a different culture before Puerto Rico, it gave me a greater understanding of a lifestyle and an environment different from what I was used too. 
After asking people I had not known about directions or even interviewing them, I began to gain confidence in myself. The more I talked to tourists and workers in the Stockyards, the more familiar and comfortable I was with the area and people. 
By talking to these people, I was confident that I could use what I learned in Fort Worth while in Puerto Rico.  I was ready to step into the Puerto Rican culture with open arms and an open mind. 

The daily Fort Worth cattle drive

Students in the Fort Worth Stockyards

A member of the Fort Worth Herd




Check out:



Contact Information:
Email: Andee.W.Gentry-1@ou.edu
Twitter: AndeeWGentry 
Facebook: Andee Gentry 
Instagram: andeegentry 

No comments:

Post a Comment