Puerto Rico

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Food is Family

By: Andee Gentry


Every new place you visit offers a new lifestyle and culture. The way people live, communicate and eat is different. While being in Puerto Rico, I was exposed to many different delicious foods that I had not tried or heard of upon arrival. 
Puerto Rico is known for many distinct food and beverages that I was excited to try. The Puerto Rican culture adds a unique flare to every aspect. I was able to taste some amazing foods such as the mofongo, plantains, and arroz con gandules. By tasting and seeing all the different foods, I was able to better relate and experience the culture.
 Many of the local foods were some of the yummiest foods I have ever tasted in my life. I was able to go to go to the local grocery store and purchase plantains to take home from Puerto Rico. We were able to visit the Kioskos in Puerto Rico, which is a place that has over forty restaurants in a row. I was able to pick and choose many different local food items at a reasonable price. 
Since we were by the ocean and surrounded by vegetation, the seafood and fruit was fresh and excellent. The pineapple and other fruits were very juicy and the fish was savory and delicious. By tasting the food and talking with the locals, I was really able to submerge myself into the Puerto Rican lifestyle. Many workers that I talked to at the restaurants were all sons, daughters, or grandchildren of the owners. 
Food is family and is a big aspect of everyone coming together. I think by tasting many different foods, you are really able to understand and appreciate a lifestyle and a community.

The Puerto Rican dish called the mofongo
Delicious chocolate and pineapple ice cream
Traditional Puerto Rican lunch


Check out:



 Contact Information:
Email: Andee.W.Gentry-1@ou.edu
Twitter: AndeeWGentry 
Facebook: Andee Gentry 
Instagram: andeegentry 




No comments:

Post a Comment