Puerto Rico

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

The Beginning of a Journey

by Mackenzie Brim

The first class session for Tourism and Media I arrived unaware of the great journey on which I was about to embark. I sat by myself on the side wall in a room of stark gray tables and cheap carpet and waited in silence with the other students anticipating the arrival of our professors. 

Joselyn arrived first with hands overflowing with a crockpot full of chili and cloth bags full of other food. She explained that we should get used to it because we would be cooking for the whole group when we got to the “Island,” as she and Meta called it. I couldn’t help but think Oh god what have I gotten myself into.

With your writing you can transport your readers to new worlds and expose them to things they couldn’t otherwise experience. This is why I have always been interested in the field of travel writing and ultimately why I decided to take this class. It had been so long since I had written creatively in any sense of the word. Bogged down by the formatting of academics and research I had forgotten why I loved it so much.


That first writing assignment we did was to describe our room as a destination. I titled mine “A Pink Paradise,” after all the pink decorations and jungle foliage mural in my room. I didn’t keep the paper: It disappeared into the abyss that is my backpack. But that writing inspired my trip and a journey that would lead me to learn things about myself.

Mackenzie Brim
mackenziebrim.com
cushions :
Yes, please! ✨ #UOHome #Space15Twenty #LosAngeles:

Back to work blues? Why not grow a desk plant in your dusk candle jar after you have finished burning? #recycle #reuse #deskplant #artisan:

No comments:

Post a Comment