Puerto Rico

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Flavortown: Puerto Rico


            Food is the way to the soul, at least for me. Since Puerto Rico was an unfamiliar place to me, I was most looking forward to trying the local foods. Each day, we had the opportunity to try something new, explore on our own, and decide what local dish we would try. From the mofongo to the pizza there, everything was different. Every food had a Puerto Rican spin on it and it was fun to try them. My favorite dish that we ate was the Puerto Rican BBQ. We tried a small town, BBQ joint that our tour guide recommended, and it was phenomenal. The portions were hefty, the food was packed full of flavor, and the atmosphere was an open-air type restaurant.

            We had the chance to shop in a local grocery store, which offered items we were used to seeing in the states, as well as native goods that were only sold locally. I purchased some Puerto Rican candy and coffee to take home to my family.

            One of the best opportunities that we had while studying abroad was teaming up with my classmates and preparing a Puerto Rican dish ourselves. We made arroz con gandules and although we might not have cooked it as well as a local might have, we enjoyed the experience and the flavors.

            Puerto Rico did not disappoint my taste buds, and I would love to go back with friends to show them the unique cuisine.



Puerto Rican BBQ


Large avocados at a local Puerto Rican grocery store



My cooking team after making Arroz con Gandules

Check these out:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g147320-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

Contact Information:
Email: sdeshurley@ou.edu
Phone: 281-222-7329
Facebook: @sarahdeshurley
Twitter: @skdeshurley

Instagram: @so_desh_so_clean

No comments:

Post a Comment