Puerto Rico

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Driving On Island Time

Driving On Island Time
By Lara Olfers

I was assigned transportation for my theme. There were many things I noticed about transportation in Puerto Rico that was different than how we use transportation in the mainland. The roads in San Juan were uneven and rocky. There were many one-way streets. Cars were parked on one side of the street and the streets were just wide enough for another car to slide by. It was very nerve-wracking for me, especially when we were walking around during nighttime. Fortunately San Juan, and many of the other cities we visited had an active trolley system set up. I also noticed that there were many more police on motorcycles and street bikes than in real cars. This could be because of the congested streets in the cities and highways. Another difference I noticed was the green paint on the roads. On the mainland, the paint used on the streets is usually the color of yellow. There were many bike lanes painted green and I thought they looked very nice and brightened the streets up. They also seemed very useful because I saw a lot more people walking and biking from place to place than in the United State mainland. Another difference that confused me for a while was the gas prices. In Puerto Rico, gas is sold and priced by the liter, unlike the United States mainland, which is by gallon. I was amazed to see that I could buy gas in Puerto Rico for 67 cents!


Links:


Contact Information:
Email: lara@ou.edu
Phone: 972-310-3353
Twitter: @lara_olfers
Facebook: @LaraOlfers
Instagram: @ lara_olfers

No comments:

Post a Comment