Puerto Rico

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

A Piece of Home

A Piece of Home
By Lara Olfers

       Visiting Fort Worth from a tourist perspective was interesting for me because I have lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area my entire life. I even interned in Fort Worth this past summer. I enjoyed showing my classmates the building I worked in from our train seats when we pulled into the station. There are many parts of Fort Worth, and of Texas, that I take for granted because of growing up here. I noticed many of these things when we visited Fort Worth as tourists. One of these is the strong Texas pride that was displayed all over the town. When I drive home, I am always so happy to see the Texas flag on the "Welcome to Texas" sign on the side of the highway and I feel pride in knowing that so many others feel the same happiness that I do. There are Texas flags everywhere. They're painted on walls, on t-shirts, and flying high in front of every building. I also noticed the importance of traditional Texas foods, like Bar-B-Que and Tex-Mex, which was strongly represented in Fort Worth. I was appalled when I came to OU and discovered that Tex-Mex restaurants called queso, "cheese sauce" and would just slap a bowl of cheese on the table. Our class trip really opened my eyes to the beauty and uniqueness of Texas and especially to Fort Worth. Fort Worth captures the obnoxious country style, the Bar-B-Que and Tex-Mex restaurants, and Texas pride and puts it all in one place for tourists and locals to enjoy.



            

Links:
http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/
http://stockyardsrodeo.com/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g55857-Fort_Worth_Texas.html

Contact Information:
Email: lara@ou.edu
Phone: 972-310-3353
Twitter: @lara_olfers
Facebook: @LaraOlfers
Instagram: @ lara_olfers


No comments:

Post a Comment