Puerto Rico

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

An Unknown Experience

By: Heather Ricchi

My freshman year I went to a presentation about studying abroad in college. After sitting through the presentation I decided that I wanted to study abroad at some point in my college career, but I wasn't exactly sure when I was going to be able to fit that into my busy and rigorous schedule. I was told about an opportunity to study abroad over Christmas break and as soon as the last sentence left Professor Pederson’s lips I was hooked. I had never been to Puerto Rico before so I was very intrigued to visit and study the culture of this island. I have traveled my whole life but this trip was the first time that I would be traveling for the purpose of learning and studying a different culture.


A couple weeks before we left for Puerto Rico I got to meet the group of students that I would be taking on this cultural inversion experience with. We all met up in Fort Worth and on a extremely smaller scale got dip our feet into studying tourism like we would be doing in Puerto Rico. In Fort Worth my classmates and I clicked automatically as if we had all been friends our entire lives. Together we got to visit the Fort Worth Stockyards, study the transportation, accommodations, attractions and the food that travelers from all over the world visit Fort Worth for. This experience allowed me to no longer hesitate or be nervous about the study abroad trip that I was about to embark on. I was now excited to be able to study and learn about tourism and travel writing in Puerto Rico with these intelligent and kind individuals.

   I got to spend quality time with my new classmates while enjoying Tex-Mex cuisine in Fort Worth.
                                               The cattle run at the Fort Worth Stockyards.
              Saying Boomer Sooner all the way from Texas while studying tourism in Fort Worth. 
Links: 
http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/
http://www.ou.edu/cis/education_abroad.html
https://www.fortworth.com/the-herd/

Contact Information: 
Email: Heather.a.ricchi10@ou.edu
Phone: 214-551-2715
Twitter: @heatherricchi4
Facebook: @heatherricchi
Instagram: @heatherricchi

No comments:

Post a Comment