Puerto Rico

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Eating my way through Puerto Rico

By Maddy Payne 

            Since my childhood consisted of traveling to diverse destinations, it also consisted of eating diverse foods. Growing up, I did not have many PB&J sandwiches, but instead, I had gyoza, edamame, papaya, dragon fruit, fish and chips and nasi goreng. In Africa, I tried zebra beef jerky; in Spain, paella. As one can see, trying new foods is a big part of my life. And so, when I traveled to Puerto Rico, I was not seeking out “comfort foods” like hamburgers and French fries. I wanted to try traditional Puerto Rican food.
            When we explored Old San Juan, we decided to eat at La Mallorquina, the oldest operating restaurant on the island. At La Mallorquina I ordered mofongo with fried pork. Mofongo is an Afro-Puerto Rican dish made from fried plantains. The plantains are picked while they are green and then mashed up with salt, garlic and oil. Afterwards, the plantains are compressed into a ball and served with either meat or in a broth.
            Another day, we to a local restaurant shop in Ponce, where I had pulled pork, plantains, rice and beans – a traditional Puerto Rican meal. It was so, so good, and I would definitely have it again. Everything was fresh and for dessert I tried some flan.
            At the Three Kings Festival I tried “bacalaitos,” fried Codfish fritters. They were super salty and a fun street food to munch on while watching the three kings and parade. I also got some ice cream/sorbet from a small vendor. It was nice and refreshing.
            Lastly, three of the nights during our trip, we were put into teams and given a traditional Puerto Rican meal to make. My team’s recipe was Pollo Gulsado Estilo Puertoriqueño. The main ingredients were olives, cilantro, Sofrito, Sazon Knorr, carrots, potatoes, chicken and rice. The meal turned out wonderful and there were no leftovers.

WORDS: 310

 La Mallorquina restaurant in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. 

 
Monfongo with pork, a traditional Puerto Rican dish. 

Fresh sorbet from a local vendor at the Three Kings day festival. 

Links:
http://www.bonappetit.com/restaurants-travel/slideshow/eat-puerto-rico
http://welcome.topuertorico.org/culture/foodrink.shtml
http://www.latina.com/food/recipes/best-puerto-rican-recipes
  
Email: maddy.payne@ou.edu
Website: maddy.payne.weebly.com

Twitter: @maddypayne397

No comments:

Post a Comment