Puerto Rico

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

One Small Step Off a Plane, One Large Step to Graduation










By: Kathryn Collins

As I took my usual route up the stairs and through the halls of Gaylord (my second home), something caught my eye. There was an opportunity to study abroad in Puerto Rico. My eyes lit up and my imagination ran wild as I saw that my two passions were colliding together: writing and traveling.

Excitement flows through my veins when I am able to step off a plane into an unknown land to meet new people, see different things and experience unexplainable adventures. I have been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to travel abroad to Brazil, Africa and Nicaragua for mission trips. The experiences I had in those foreign lands were unlike anything I could have ever imagined. The bubble I had lived in my whole life had finally burst as I emerged myself into new cultures. The people, the food, the land and the history of those countries have all contributed to the views I have on the world today. My past experiences with traveling have encouraged me to continue to explore other places. Beyond that, I have always wanted to study abroad before I graduate. I feel that studying abroad can teach me much more than a normal classroom.

This program will not only contribute to my personal growth, but it is also practical to my academic career in allowing me to graduate on time. I know that programs like these are made to teach students, but I also feel that I have qualities to offer to a program like this such as: my outgoing personality, my dedication to schoolwork, and my personable attitude. I hope to have the chance to study abroad in Puerto Rico to further my personal and academic goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment