Puerto Rico

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Back Across the Pond-by Marley Harris




Sitting at home, reminiscing of Puerto Rico, I cannot believe I was just there yesterday. As I stepped off the plane here in Oklahoma City I was quickly reminded of reality as the bitter cold hit me with a gust of wind. The beautiful island of Puerto Rico was behind me. It now all seems to be a giant blur and my wonderful memories are now a dream. As I am loading my pictures on to my computer (I only took about 500), my screen is filled with such beautiful color. Greens, blues, whites, pinks, my screen has the essence of paradise. While reminiscing threw all of my photos, I begin to realize just how vast the Puerto Rican landscape was. This tiny island that is apart of the United States, has such a unique history, culture and landscape, that I feel as though I am two worlds away from Oklahoma.

Since Puerto Rico is made of over 60% mountains and hills, there is little land that is left flat. Houses gripped on to the side of these mountains. I cannot imagine being able to live in one of those houses that is hugging on to the side of it so tight. The views are breathtaking.

It always made me laugh when I heard people on the island talk about “these winter months in Puerto Rico.” As if to call 82° F winter, and to call that cold. Since Puerto Rico is located in the Caribbean and near the equator, the temperatures stay about the same throughout the year. Seasons slightly differ from one to the next. This is what helps make Puerto Rico so appealing.

*All photos were taken by and belong to Marley Harris

Check out these cool links to learn more about Puerto Rico and where we visited!

http://www.samuellind.com/

Map

El Yunque Rainforest

No comments:

Post a Comment