Puerto Rico

Friday, January 7, 2011

Food Finds

Day four of Puerto Rico, and as our class digs deeper into the essence of the island, one basic element of life here has risen to the forefront of conversation: the food.

I expected to fall in love with the mangos, bananas, and pineapples of the island, but with every passing meal I find something that I just can't get enough of. Today was that and more.

Rancho T, a cozy restaurant seemingly alone in the mountains of Puerto Rico, is a secret I was glad to see uncovered.

Roast pork waiting patiently on the restaurant's door front is a welcoming aroma for a hungry customer. A few steps beyond and the invitation is extended with the a mouth-watering combination of white yams, chicken thigh, rice galore, and a smatter of locals lined across the bar.

 As I sat down at the plate I had prepared, I stared a hole through one particular part of my meal. A meat product I have always exhibited a certain level of fear towards, blood sausage, sat curled around my plate of Puerto Rican goodness.

But with new culture, comes new experience, and that is best met with bravery. So there the sausage sat, and as I took my first bite all my fears melted away as the spiced pork hit my taste buds.
 
The rest of our group seemed to enjoy the meal as well, judging by the amount of words passing across the table. Rancho T, along with the rest of the trip thus far, did not fail to surprise or stun me, with unique flavors and peaceful seclusion I'm only now witnessing. Two thumbs up.




No comments:

Post a Comment