Puerto Rico

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Me and my hubby showing our Boomer Sooner spirit! 


The entrance to the Ehtisham domicile (with my hand made candy corn wreath)!



A Trip to Puerto Rico:

A land rich with history and opportunities

 

          When I first heard about the Travel Writing class and the trip to Puerto Rico, I was immediately interested. One of the goals I aim to reach during my years at the University of Oklahoma is to study abroad. The idea of traveling to another culture and becoming immersed in its history and people is one of great appeal to me. I have never traveled out of the country before, and I see this trip as a great opportunity to ease into the experience. This trip offers the opportunity to experience a different culture without all of the bureaucracy that typically comes with studying abroad. There is no need to secure a passport because Puerto Rico is an American territory and there is no confusing exchange rate for currency because they use the U.S. dollar.

            The largest draw for this trip, for me, is the culture of Puerto Rico. I find it fascinating that a land tied so closely to the United States has a culture so rich and different from what people have come to expect from the continental United States. My interest in other cultures has always been insatiable, especially since I have never traveled to see another culture first-hand in the country of its origin. That is why I approach this opportunity with such exhilarated enthusiasm. I cannot wait for the opportunity to meet new people and see new things. I know this trip will be the igniting spark in my zest for travel. I embrace this opportunity with eagerness and I cannot wait to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment