Puerto Rico

Thursday, January 6, 2011

B is for Bacalaítos

B is for Bacalaítos
by Tess Taylor





I expected my first bite of meat to be authentic schnitzel doused in the "everything schnitzel" toppings of creamy cheese and wine sauce, soft sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions and a few other ingredients that I never had the time to recognize because I was too busy inhaling to slow down until the last few bites. No beef, pork, chicken or four legged animals in over a year, but it wasn't until six months ago that I gave up fish. I enjoy sticking to a healthy diet, reading the nutrition labels and taking a run to sweat off the guilt. I opted to indulge for a single meal each day while in Puerto Rico, but I've found that my tired legs from walking for miles have a larger appetite than my skinny-girl mentality. The quaint city took me by surprise as all of my senses were pleased. From reggae to Christmas, the music had everyone swaying their hips on the hot Juana Diaz sidewalk. There were beautiful people and precious children to lay your eyes upon dressed in traditional biblical dresses and linens. Half way through the parade the smells of food began traveling through the humid air and my constant subconscious thought of satisfying my taste buds took my full attention. Puerto Ricans never deny you the desire of food, it is everywhere: on every corner, in travelling kiosks and on the shoulders of walking vendors. After painstakingly finishing the Three Kings museum, we headed into the plaza for some lunch. Foreign places and festival foods have the worst options for vegetarians, thankfully I gave up being vegan. I waited in line entirely content as I felt sweat dripping down my spine and the aroma of fried food enveloping around me. I chatted with the cook about his upcoming trip to Oklahoma and after a simple human connection he ordered the woman at the fryer to make my Bacalaítos the crispiest. I asked for dos, handed over a ten dollar bill, received my change and took a bite. Our helpful guide, Francisco soon informed me that I was eating fish. A thick batter of flour and codfish dolloped in a popping, crackling and frying stovetop prepared my delicious cuisine. After devouring both entirely, I looked around and saw how popular the fried codfish fritters really were - though I enjoyed about four times as much as every other person. Will I eat fish again, probably not for a while, but I certainly am not bitter for enjoying this non-nutritious treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment