Puerto Rico

Sunday, January 9, 2011






“I think that tree is waving at me”

By Alison Ehtisham

                It’s breathtaking. One look around and I see a wondrous mesh of cultures in the very trees around me. Just like the historical culture of the people of Puerto Rico themselves, the flora and fauna of Puerto Rico is a brilliant mix of different cultures and origins from all around the world.

Before I arrived in Puerto Rico, I imagined it to be a temperate paradise of sandy beaches and palm trees. As soon as the landing gear hit the ground I discovered how very wrong I was. While yes, there are beaches and plenty of palm trees, there is so much more to be seen in Puerto Rico. From rain forests to grasslands, Puerto Rico has become a melting pot of trees and vegetation. Near the mountains, the trees are tall and sturdy. Right off of the mountains, where there is little rain, the grasslands that reside there reminded me of Oklahoma. I ached a little for home as we passed by the cacti and short yellow grass.

Places like El Yunque are rich with vegetation from every corner of the world. The rich, steamy rainforest provides a unique slice of the world with every inch you look. Near the coastline, where you would expect only palm trees, there is a unique variation of trees. On a kayak to the bioluminescent bay, I was able to have several, ahem, encounters with the mangrove trees. Their invading presence only adds to the splendor of the area. With the small sample I was able to absorb, I can safely say I now know about far more than palm trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment