Puerto Rico

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Not in Kansas Anymore!

My name is Tyler Dunn and I want to go to Puerto Rico. More accurately, I want to go all around the world, but I think I am getting ahead of myself. A short description of myself might be in order.

I am a journalism student with an emphasis in multimedia. After meeting Mike Boettcher less than a year ago, I knew I wanted to be an international correspondence reporter. So many of the things he has been able to accomplish I had a desire to do without even knowing it fully.

I did always have a passion for culture and travel, but my dealings with him gave me the direction and confidence I believe I now have to continue on my path towards international journalism.

The thing I probably love most about journalism, and international journalism specifically, is that no one becomes a member of the media to make money or to have a stable life. They typically do it to help people and to understand the world more. That desire to know the world more intimately and the people in it is why I want to take this course. Add to that the beauty of the only tropical rainforest in the U.S. and the interesting blending of American and Latin culture and I practically have my bags packed.

Although I have been to many areas of the country, I have never traveled abroad and have made it an important goal of mine to do so before I graduate.

Despite a lack of travel experience, I feel I would be a valuable member of the team due to my media background, my passion for experiencing cultures, and my Spanish-speaking ability.

Working in both multimedia and print areas of journalism, I feel I can be an asset in areas like blogging and video editing.

Like many current or future international journalists, I am attracted to certain areas of the world. For me, that area is Latin America. Without ever being there, I feel a connection with the culture.

This curiosity has caused me to take courses to better understand this area so close in proximity to my own, including two semesters of Spanish and a Latin American Societies class.

I have spoken with my advisor, Chris Borthick, and was told I will be able to use these credits towards upper division electives. Unfortunately, I will find it difficult to afford this trip myself. Having fully supported myself for the last four years, even enlisting in the Air National Guard three years ago, my financial means are often limited. I would be extremely grateful for any scholarship given.
I look forward to hearing from you concerning this wonderful opportunity. Thanks for the consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment