Puerto Rico

Friday, January 7, 2011

Expanding Culture Into Food

By: Sean Parks


Food. Food. Food. As in most Caribbean islands, cuisine is a central element of the Puerto Rican culture.  From the moment that I boarded on to the plane from Oklahoma City towards San Juan, Puerto Rico, I made a promise to myself to have an open-mind about trying authentic foods. Having some prior notion about what to expect with the foods that I would soon indulge myself with brought a true smile to my face.
My very first Puerto Rican cuisine partook in Old San Juan and included a mixture of fried plantains, steamed rice and favorable chicken.  The first bite produced a savory flavor that had me swaying in my seat at the robust tastes. My next adventure led me to a cluster of food stands in the middle Juana Díaz, where I tried more authentic dishes and was impressed with the various forms of classic Puerto Rican foods. The next few adventures, I took the advice of the locals and ate several different items in small restaurants and stands.
Trying not to settle with things that I find comforting, I branched out in the few short days to try foods that the local eat on a daily basis. Allowing myself to try new items has increased my range in assessing the value of cuisine and more importantly, Puerto Rican cuisine.
From what I have learned so far, is that food is very important to Puerto Ricans. Food brings individuals together from all parts of the island into a tight knit community.

http://gopuertorico.about.com/od/top5attractions/tp/FiveFoodsofPR.htm http://www.prboriken.com/food.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment