Puerto Rico

Saturday, January 8, 2011

¡La Lengua!

 By: Tyler Dunn

Hola, me llamo Tyler. Soy de Oklahoma.

I might have learned a bit more than this during my many hours in Spanish class, but I did not feel confident about much more upon coming to Puerto Rico. My anxiety was relieved with the first step on the bus with a man known to many as the best tour guide on the island. The gentleman with such esteemed credentials goes simply by Papo.

Papo teaching us how to use the beans as musical instruments.
PHOTO: Tyler Dunn
Papo, a native Puerto Rican, is bilingual and lived in the United States for many years of his adult life. His understanding of the english language is very impressive and has a disarming humor in most conversations. Because he speaks english so confidently, it is easy to forget he is a primarily spanish speaker.  

A historical Taino tour guide instructing both english and spanish speakers.
PHOTO: Tyler Dunn
After
witnessing this I began to wonder why he spoke english so well. Then it hit me: money. English is the second language of Puerto Rico for more than just terrestrial ties, it is because the ships and planes coming in to the island hold within them American citizens with money burning right through their pocket. So, I thought, english is just a must for the Puerto Rican travel industry. Nothing more.

Bacardi bartender teaching audience beverage information in english.
PHOTO: Tyler Dunn
As I ventured further through the island, however, I realized I had underestimated Puerto Rico's english-speaking capability. La gente all across the island speak english, and while not everyone does, the amount of people that do have been more than willing to help thus far.

A very helpful people, and while many might benefit from the language bridge, I think we unilingual folk got the better end of the deal here.




No comments:

Post a Comment