Puerto Rico

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Vamos a Puerto Rico!

My name is Bianca Davis and I am a journalism senior at Texas State University. I love travel and adventure and aspire to become a travel writer. When I learned about the Communicating Cultures study abroad program through the University of Oklahoma, I thought htis would be the perfect opportunity to hone my writing skills and learn what is needed to become a better, more effective travel writer.

To travel the globe, fully immersing myself in many different cultures in order to experience how people everywhere live—this is my dream. This course will allow me to improve my writing skills and teach me what it is to write about another culture, one very different from my own.

So many people in this country are content with the way they live, thinking the American way-of-life is the only way. However, I know this is not the case. There is so much to see and experience in this world, it is my singular mission to be a messenger who can share with people the places many only dream of going.
My studies of Spanish beginning in high school and now in university have opened the door to a world that is vibrant and full of life. Hispanic culture has captivated me.

I was fortunate enough to have had a wonderful opportunity to travel to Ecuador this past summer to both volunteer and travel through International Student Volunteers. The program I chose to be a part of placed a great emphasis on experiencing culture. I decided that I would spend my time there with a completely open mind, welcoming new experiences, foods, and cultures openly and without judgment. That decision paid off, and my time there was by far one of the best experiences in my life. When people ask me about my trip I always say, “I left part of my heart in Ecuador.”

I am excited to embark on another Latin American journey and, after learning about Puerto Rico in class this past semester, I am glad Puerto Rico is my next destination. I hope Puerto Rico will steal yet another piece of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment