Puerto Rico

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Traveling and Tact: Mutually Exclusive in the World of Bourdain


By Abigail Hess

In layman’s terms, anti-conquest travel writing means that which does not interfere with a place’s native culture.  And if you’ve ever seen Anthony Bourdain’s Travel Channel show, “No Reservations,” you know he is the epitome of becoming one with indigenous civilizations…and of dogging on those travel shows that cater only to tourist hot-spots.
If this weren’t a school-sponsored blog I’d provide a Bourdain quote chastising places like Sandals Resorts and people like Samantha Brown, but I feel my professors would not appreciate the colorful language used by this crass New York native.  Suffice it to say he does not like tourist attractions and those who visit them. 
For the most part, I concur with Bourdain’s attitude.  If you’re fortunate enough to travel to far and distant lands (like my current local of Vieques, Puerto Rico), it won’t be long before you realize there are two distinct personalities of a place:  that which is native to the country, and that which is concocted for tourists.
Ever seen an “I <3 NY” t-shirt?  Yeah, a real New Yorker wouldn’t be caught dead in one of those.
So I understand why Bourdain seeks out hole-in-the-wall restaurants for meals and  toothless locals for interviews; the world has realized the economic potential of tourist travel, and an unfortunate number of far away countries have allowed their culture to change so as to draw more deep-pocketed travelers.
Bourdain is simply trying to fight the system, and I can respect that.
However.
I am a girl from the etiquette-oriented plains of the bible belt, and the tactless language and pessimistic angle of “No Reservations” is offensive to my delicate Oklahoma palate.  Is it really necessary to be bleeped out on your own show?  Really?   To me, excessive profanity and negativity is just an attempt at seeming tough, and Bourdain is a skinny, weezy chain smoker.  Ergo, not tough.
If you ask me, there are better ways to articulate the sentiments of anti-conquest travel writing.  In fact, Bourdain may be shooting himself in the foot, as I don’t suspect many foreigners appreciate how stubbornly New York he is.  Is that the best way to blend in with one’s surroundings?  I think not, mon frère.

So if you want to visit a place for it’s native culture, get to know the locals as Bourdain does…but omit the f-bombs and leave the Marlboros at home.  
And though you may long to absorb the natural habitat of your next vacation destination, I don’t recommend completely cutting yourself off from the tacky tourist locals.
For though I’ve been to the Big Apple three times and have never purchased an “I <3 NY” shirt, I’d secretly kill to have one.
Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment