Puerto Rico

Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Step


Hola, my name is Kali Carter and I'm from Tulsa, Oklahoma. This is the first of many blogs relating to an upcoming travel writing class to Puerto Rico. I am a Junior at the University of Oklahoma, and I plan to major in Journalism with a minor in Spanish. Below you will find the essay I wrote when applying to the program about why I wanted to travel to Puerto Rico. Travelling is my passion, and I am really looking forward to the many adventures to come.



When one of my professors, Kathryn Jenson White, first told my magazine issues class about an upcoming travel writing course in Puerto Rico, I immediately knew I was interested in the trip. Growing up, I have been fortunate enough to travel around the world with my parents, but until this past summer, I had never traveled or lived anywhere on my own. I am planning to minor in Spanish and studying abroad to enrich my knowledge of the language was always a childhood dream of mine. Last fall, I began looking into different types of summer and semester study abroad programs. Since I had never lived abroad on my own, I knew I would be better off going on a summer program for my first time. I ended up going to Chile and Peru through the university’s Journey to South America program. The program was only four weeks, so I was able to get an experience abroad without having to leave my family and friends for six months.

The Journey to South America program was by far the greatest experience of my life. Although I traveled with other students from OU, I did not know anyone else going into the trip, and now I have continued friendships with the other 19 students. Our group was together every day, visiting ancient Incan ruins like Machu Picchu, traveling to rural and indigenous villages, and even skiing in the Andes. I enjoyed going with other students, because it gave me a chance to experience another world with people from mine. I definitely matured in South America, and I came back with a better understanding of who I am as a person and what I want to do with my life. Even though I want to do some humanitarian work after college, I know I am destined to become a travel writer.



Upon my return from South America, I had been planning on spending the spring semester studying abroad in Argentina, that is until I heard about this course. I decided this trip would be more beneficial to my career, so I opted out of Argentina in hopes I get accepted to this program. I am also applying for a summer internship with the travel magazine Afar in San Francisco. I hope to get accepted to the travel writing course in Puerto Rico, so I can have travel writing experience if I do get the internship. I am applying for this class with one of my good friends, Lauren Hale. Since this is something we are both extremely interested in, I think the trip and our passion would bring us closer as friends, but I am excited about the opportunity to meet other students from OU as well.

I am a hard worker, but I also know when to have fun. I know I have what it takes to get the most out of this program, and I am looking forward to developing my travel writing skills. I already know this trip will be another great experience of my life and I am looking forward for what's to come. Be sure to check back for updates on my trip!

1 comment: