Puerto Rico

Saturday, January 2, 2010

What the world needs now is Puerto Rico!!


My name is Patrick Garnett Engleman and I am a Broadcast Journalism major at OU. I am twenty-seven years old.

I have been studying Journalism for over three years now and, this is my first blog in Puerto Rico.



There are several reasons I would like to experience this opportunity to venture to

Puerto Rico. First I have an desire to learn from other cultures and to have the chance to

learn about a field that interests me. I have always wanted to be a journalist, broadcaster

or news editor and, this is another facet of something I already have a passion for.

With regards to other cultures, I am fascinaled at the relative similarities but, also

shocked by the extreme differences that we all share or lack as humans. Any time there is

an opportunity for me to engross myself in a new area of study I try to capitalize on it.

Situations like this do not come by very often and I relish the chance to be a part of it.

While I am unsure if travel writing is something that I may do in the future I do

like the idea of adding to a portfolio. Having these kinds of experiences can only help

further a holistic education. As I stated earlier I have always wanted to be involved in the

news industry and consequently anything related to it.

Another reason maybe more compelling for me is that I am considering a minor in

Spanish and I would love the chance to be immersed in a Spanish speaking culture. I

have currently taken my last Spanish class I need for my major but, I would like to take

this opportunity to further explore the language. If I do choose to minor in Spanish I

would be very open to the idea of travel writing and therefore I feel like this is a great

chance for me to explore my options.

I feel that I am an excellent candidate for this excursion because I am deeply

interested and older than most of my peers. I am interested not only in the subject matter

but, also how I might apply it to my own life/career.

No comments:

Post a Comment