Puerto Rico

Friday, January 8, 2010

Travel for travel's sake.



By: Lauren Hale
The idea of anti-conquest is a narrative term coined by Mary Pratt. It referred to the innocence of travel and going into a land with the intentions to learn and observe the beauty of a culture as its own. These ideas of anti-conquest were the opposite of going into a land to change the culture and become a dominant power source. In the beginnings of travel writing, a major component of the genre was the idea that learning and taking accounts of a new place could lend aide to its conquer. With new world discoveries being an important part of the time period, travel writing gave a sense of familiarity with these unknown regions. In the present day, we see more travel for anti-conquest reasons. This idea of "leisure" and "culture learning experience" are prominent reasons for people to extend their temporary locations to other places.
Looking at Anthony Bourdain series on the travel channel, you witness a person traveling to different lands solely to learn about a new culture and having an immersed experience. His segments incorporate some of the travel ideals that Mary Pratt set forth with her idea of anti-conquest. At the beginning of his Puerto Rican segment, he said he wants to see the "real Puerto Rico." This being the areas of the island that are not advertised as tourist attractions and are more local hangouts. Locations such as these throughout a city are usually the most beneficial to immersion into a culture. He begins his segment by tasting local cuisine, something that I was keen on doing while I was here. The one thing I wanted to eat on this whole trip was the typical rice and beans dish, along with tostones. How the women of Puerto Rico stay svelte, I have no idea. I would not have the willpower to not eat these fried and carb loaded delicacy's every day.Anyways, viewing Bourdain's series made me realize that I am apt to doing anti-conquest traveling myself. I like to explore areas and culture and apply them to my own life. Seeing a new place for its existing beauty, rather than trying to make it into something else, is a rewarding experience. Take tonight for example. We were able to witness a beautiful, natural underwater world at the bioluminesence bay. I have never seen anything as remarkable as that and it was literally a life changing experience. Taking in that site as it was, a beautiful Puerto Rican treasure, was made possible by existing as a visitor, a tourist. Jn my opinion, traveling to a new place would not have been the same if I had an agenda such as those who existed in the beginning of travel writing. I enjoy being a participant in new cultures, not a advocate for changing them. To me, one of the biggest luxuries in life is being able to submerge yourself into a new place and take in all it has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment