Puerto Rico

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Adios, Puerto Rico.

By Abigail Hess


In some ways, my trip to Puerto Rico was exactly what I expected.  There were beaches, and there were pineapples, and there were so many touristy/educational stops to make that I ended each day completely exhausted and on the verge of hysteria due to the utter fullness of my brain.

Yes, a lot of my time on the island was what I’d envisioned, back when I first wrote my application essay.  Even more of it, however, was completely not what I’d envisioned at all.
As I now reflect back on the two chaotic weeks I spent hopping from San Juan to Ponce to Vieques, I realize the part of the trip that impacted me the most was not Puerto Rico itself.  Nor was it my schoolwork, or my newfound grasp on Spanish (HA!), or even my incredible tan.
What impacted me the most were the people who shared it alongside me.

For two weeks I had a completely new and incredibly diverse family.  There were professors and undergrads, master’s students and economics majors, but somehow we all managed to get along…and we all managed, on some level, to care for each other.
We cooked together, and we swam together, we kayaked together and we rang in the New Year together.  No matter what I was doing, someone from my temporary family was always by my side.
So to Marisa, Jocelyn, Kali, Vince, Bianca, Lauren, Karen, Paola, Zaina, Patrick, Emily, Dr. Subervi, Clint, Adam, and Dr. C., I’d like to extend my gratitude.  For two weeks we were comrades, and you made my time in Puerto Rico more unforgettable than you will ever know.
Thank you, all...for the friendships, and for the memories.

Much love, and viva la Puerto Rico!!

No comments:

Post a Comment