Puerto Rico

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Livin' the Puerto Rican Dream

Hola, world!  My name is Abigail Hess.



I'm a graduate student in the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication at OU, and I'm currently studying abroad on the sandy beaches of Puerto Rico.  I'm here to soak up the sun, the culture, and the travel writing, and this blog is part of of my course requirements.  Tough life, ain't it?

Below is the essay I wrote to be considered for this incredible program.  Hope you enjoy, and be sure to check back in a few days.  I'll be recording my every move while down here in the tropics, so you better keep reading if you know what's good for you.

Much love, and buenos noches!

_____________


As an undergraduate student, I always hoped for the opportunity to study abroad.  I recognize the value of learning within a foreign culture, and every year I searched for a program that would fit my interests and schedule.  Unfortunately however, the small school I attended had few abroad opportunities for its students, and before I knew it I was graduating with my bachelor’s.

Now as a graduate student I am more interested than ever to experience learning through a different cultural lens.  I have been researching programs since beginning at OU last fall, and I briefly considered pursuing courses of different educational interests than my own as I was struggling to find one that applied to my personal journalistic ambitions.  Then I received an email regarding the travel writing opportunity, and I was instantly intrigued.

It is my hope to one day work as a professional writer.  I prefer article format, and my interest lies more in magazine/soft news stories than in newspaper reporting.  Therefore, the program in Puerto Rico sounds like the perfect chance to try a new aspect of this style of writing.  Travel magazine writing is a career path that interests me, so the combination of abroad study and travel writing is an ideal match.  Plus, I read that there is a blog requirement for the program.  I am already an avid blogger, so the chance to continue posting in Puerto Rico would be an added bonus.  As I have never done travel writing before I am not yet sure how much of a professional fit it would actually be (or how adept I am at doing it), but I would love to have the chance to find out through this program!

I have never been to Puerto Rico before, and I do not speak very much Spanish.  This is actually one of the reasons I am so intrigued by the travel writing program.  I want to immerse myself in a cultural experience very different from my own, so this would be great opportunity to step outside my comfort zone and learn about diverse lifestyles.

I very much hope I am able to participate in this program.  This summer is essentially my final opportunity to study abroad, and this particular program sounds almost too good to be true.  Please let me know if I can answer any questions or provide you with additional information; I would be more than happy to talk with you further about my interests.

Thank you for your consideration, and I hope to chat with you more about this in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment