Puerto Rico

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Puerto Rican Passion

By Bianca Davis




It has almost been a week since I have been back at home in Central Texas, and while it feels nice to be around the familiar again, I cannot help but think to myself each day, “I wonder what I would be doing if I were still in Puerto Rico.”
Something inside me is still drawn to that beautiful ‘Isla del Encanto.’ I miss the hot, sticky, humid weather. I miss the flavorful foods that are impossible to find in my town. I miss the beaches and the palm trees. I miss the laid-back, carefree, loving attitude that flows through the air no mater what part of the island you’re on. But I think what I miss most about Puerto Rico is passion.
Puerto Ricans have an intense feeling of pride for their patria, or motherland, and this pride transcends into every aspect of their lives as passion. Even the museum director in Vieques who was from Boston was passionate about Puerto Rico, his home for more than 30 years now.
Passion was present when we conducted interviews with locals there. They were so willing to talk with us, so willing to share part their patria, their Puerto Rico with visitors. I saw passion when talking to complete strangers, how they worked to improve my not-so-perfect Spanish.
One individual in particular showed so much passion for his patria that throughout the duration of our time there, he would text suggestions of what to do in whatever place we were in for the day.
Whoever I spoke with would always ask me what I thought of Puerto Rico to which I always responded with excitement telling them how much I loved the island. Each and every time, someone would always say, “It makes me so happy you love my country.”
It seemed strange to me at first that they responded in this way, but over the two weeks I saw how much puertoriqueños love their home. Puerto Ricans love their home so much that they are eager to share with everyone the passion that lives in Puerto Rico.

No comments:

Post a Comment