Puerto Rico

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New place, new perspective.



By: Lauren Hale

I had always heard that any sort of study abroad program was a life changing experience. I had always dreamed of going on one but didn't have the time or resources to make it happen. It was like fate that a two week course was presented to me that worked into my schedule and budget. What I have found is that all you need is two weeks to experience a lifetime.
While in Puerto Rico, I learned more about myself, a culture and a history than I ever have in any classroom setting. The culture of the island is something to be amazed by. The food is something that everyone should try if you have a change to be there. Local dishes such as rice and beans, mofongo, tostones and sweet plantains are delicious no matter where you get them. You can expect great taste and service from a little building on the side of the road to a four star restaurant in downtown San Juan. The hospitality of these people is something that shows even into its service industry. Another thing I noticed about the island is the unity of its people through religion. The Three Kings Day Festival in Juanas Dias was something that I will never forget. It was an amazing site to see people from all around come together to celebrate and enjoy life. What really amazes me is how the parade was so interactive. Back in the states, I am use to barricade and security keeping you from interacting with the people and being a part of the celebration. At the Three Kings Day festival, that was not the case. I was able to take pictures and be an active participant.
Something I really enjoyed about Puerto Rico was, of course, the nightlife. Everything there reflects their culture. Dancing to drinks, it was always a fun and new experience. The bars and clubs stay open way later than they do in the states and the people still seem to party all night and work all day. There were differences in the nightlife scene depending on where you go throughout the island. These differences are caused by culture, religion and tourism. Many places in the south were not as busy and party oriented as San Juan.
The main thing I take away from this trip is the experiences I had with friends and myself. Being able to experience such beauty with others make you closer to them. Personally, the biobay and rainforest are two sites I will never forget. These are the kind of experiences that even back home you can remember how they affected all of your senses. I didn't know anyone but Kali in our group before the trip, and now I feel like I have known some for years. To see a group of very different students come together to live and learn for two weeks was something amazing. I also learned a lot about myself on this trip. Being away from home and having only responsibilities to yourself, those around you and your class was a refreshing feeling. Experiencing all the things I did, I felt content and happy just being where I was and who I was. It isn't everyday that people get to go on such an extraordinary journey and I feel blessed to have been a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment