Puerto Rico

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Interest Essay

Hi! My name is Lauren. I am a college senior studying public relations at the University of Oklahoma. Below is my interest essay I submitted with my application for a Travel Writing course in Puerto Rico. I was not very familiar with the course or the island at the time I wrote this and am very interested to see what I would change in this essay as my trip progresses.
With graduation on the horizon, I find myself wanting to experience more of the real world before I am forced into it. Culturally speaking, I have experienced a good portion of the United States and a few family vacations here and there. I have been on many cruises and to beaches in Mexico and the Caribbean. I have never gotten to experience culture or foreign places through the academic eye. This trip greatly interests me because I think it is a great opportunity for me to step outside of my comfort zone and experience something different. I am graduating in May with a public relations degree and I know that a course in travel writing will greatly enhance my skill sets. It is a perfect opportunity to practice the three years of Spanish I endured in college, that I have not touched on since. Also, I will get to strengthen an area of writing I am least familiar with. I believe that continuing to challenge my writing will prepare me to take on any task asked of me in the work force. I also think it is important to be able to adapt to and accept different cultures and lifestyles in my field of study. Public Relations practitioners must be able to respond graciously under pressure and I feel that experiencing a study abroad program will help me develop tolerance and understanding. Being able to see the education process through the eyes of Puerto Rican’s and to get a general feel for a way of life outside of my own will be a life changing experience I believe is vital for my future success.

No comments:

Post a Comment