Puerto Rico

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Following Anthony's Footsteps

By Bianca Davis


At El Sol Sale Para Todos aka The best Pina Coladas in the world!


Anthony Bourdain is one of my few celebrity “obsessions.” When I watch No Reservations, I am fully and completely captivated by every little thing he does. Whether he is in Washington DC or Chile, Portland or Prague, he always makes sure that his viewers get a little taste of local flavor.
I personally feel that his style of travel is the only was to travel and actually get to experience life as the locals do. In my communicating cultures class, we learned that anti-conquest is a style of travel writing in which the traveler doesn’t impose his or her own ideas of culture onto the new culture he or she is encountering. That is, the traveler dives into another culture in order to experience a complete immersion.
Prior to coming to Puerto Rico I mentally prepared myself to not compare their culture to any others because I wanted to have a completely open mind. Hard as I tried, I could not help but to develop a certain expectation, that when I got to San Juan was proven unfulfilled for some reason. I was expecting to get to see some of the ‘real’ San Juan, but instead we stayed in a touristy area in the city.
Although I enjoyed the trip to the Barcadi factory and walk on the jungle trail in El Yunque, I rather wanted to see how people lived their daily lives, where they lived, worked and played.
I was thrilled that on our first outing without the entire group we wandered around, and found a convenience store/bar type of establishment where you could buy anything from tape to pork-n-beans as well as order a drink. We initially walked in just to check out what it was, but we eventually found that we stayed for over an hour.
It was things like that and El Sol Sale Para Todos, the side-of-the-road Piña Colada stand that tuned out to be the absolute best piña colada that anyone had tasted, that I was glad I was given a glimpse of.

No comments:

Post a Comment