Puerto Rico

Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Beginning of Being A Tourist in my Own Land


My name is Paola Lopez I am a Senior Multiple disciplinary studies student at the University of Oklahoma studying Human Services, which is a combination of Human Relations and Psychology. I aspire to complete my bachelor’s degree in May of 2010 and pursue masters into a doctorate program to become a counseling psychologist. I am excited to partake of the Travel Writing Course in Puerto Rico because I believe I provide a different and interesting perspective to the course.

Puerto Rico the island of enchantment, for the past twenty years I have fallen in love with this small 100 mile long by 35 miles wide island off the cost of the U.S. I am a native Puerto Riquena from Rio Piedras. The island is my home where I can trace the origins of my love for dance, food, music, and beautiful people. The study abroad Travel Writing in Puerto Rico course offered through the Gaylord College of Journalism is a hidden treasure waiting for true cultural seekers on the University of Oklahoma Campus. The two week writing program facilitates degree requirements for my current major and personal interest to explore furthering my education outside of the University. The travel writing course presents many perspectives I have yet to experience in Puerto Rico. The opportunity to write of fullness of the smells, music, and all consuming spirit of the island ignites the Puerto Rican passion within me, and sharing beauty and rich culture of my people with fellow students and faculty will make the trip even more memorable.

The course in the academic context challenges the improvement of my current writing ability. Travel writing expands one’s ability to observe a place, experience the richness of the moment, and then condense the sensory overload experienced into a short paragraph which gives the reader two minutes in heaven. I am excited to partake in such a course, and sharing the stories of Mi Patria, Puerto Rico, beckoning visitors to return every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment