Puerto Rico

Sunday, January 3, 2010

From Land to Land


Zaina Al Ghabra

January 2, 2010

From Land to Land

Hola, me llama Zaina Al Ghabra, I am from the Middle East, Kuwait to be specific and moved to the USA in 2004 to begin my college journey. I completed my undergraduate in advertising from the University of Oklahoma in 2008 and I am currently enrolled in my first semester of graduate school within the journalism college. Throughout the years, I have not only been supplied with the resources to improve my writing but have also learned to love it. I chose to take this class hoping it will broaden my writing skills and open various windows of opportunities for myself within the journalism field.

It has been exciting learning and adapting to the American culture and the ways of the people. The best part about this learning process is it is never ending; to this day I continue to learn about the American culture, and most importantly about myself. I am very interested in this trip considering, I am devoted to learning about new societies and ways of life, which compliments my interest in journalism and involvement within the Panam student association at the University of Oklahoma. Journalism possesses a power that can enhance the similarities between different peoples, increasing the chances of peace and tolerance in our world.

Moreover, being a native Arabic speaker I was dumbfound to discover several terms in the Arabic and Spanish language that sounded the same. My fascination with the Latin culture began during my freshman year when three of my closest friends (who were from Puerto Rico) introduced me to their language, culture and dance. While I have a very strong passion for music and dance, I was attracted to the Latin rhythms, the sensual hip movements and the trusting bond between dancing partners; it blew me away.

Not only is the Puerto Rican culture rich and beautiful but so is the country itself. With scenic beaches, rainforests and historical sites, I know this trip will make me more cultured in every sense. All in all, I love being outdoors, I love learning, I love to travel and discover and of course I love to write. I know this trip will benefit me aside from the fact that it will be beyond anything I can imagine and I would love the opportunity to be a part of it.

2 comments:

  1. A very captivating style that made me want to be part of the experience. I am always fascinated by similarities of cultures in spite of the nowadays concentration on differences. Journalism can be crucial in that, and sensationalism can be achieved while pointing to similarities not only differences.Enjoy and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete