Puerto Rico

Monday, January 5, 2015

Unleashing a hidden gem


By: Pamela Ortega

As a first-generation Hispanic in the United States, I have learned to assimilate myself with other cultures whether it be African-American, Asian, Caucasian or Native American. Throughout my life I have been exposed to a certain aspects of the Hispanic culture, specifically Mexican traditions. As members of different racial groups we often impose certain stereotypes for specific groups. Sometimes, people within the same group impose certain stereotypes. As a Mexican-American, I am expected to listen to Rancheria music, eat tacos and enchiladas, but I don’t. Similarly, as members of the Hispanic community we each impose certain stereotypes among certain groups whether they be Cuban, Panamanian or even Puerto Rican. I decided to venture out and join the journey to Puerto Rico because I want to be exposed to a different Hispanic group. I want to discover the rich traditions, friendly culture and thriving community. Puerto Ricans are not all loud and violent. Violence does not reign in Puerto Rico. I want to witness firsthand the culture, the beauty and the hard work of its citizens. Having the opportunity to study in Puerto Rico will allow me to engage with a culture so similar to mine, yet so different. The small island often thought of as violent and dangerous has a secret gem, I want to discover it.
Oftentimes we develop stereotypes for certain people based on what the media portrays, as a member of the media I want to expose the beauty of Puerto Rico so that more people will venture out and discover what all Puerto Rico has to offer.


http://www.elboricua.com/coqui.html
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/160808

No comments:

Post a Comment