Puerto Rico

Monday, January 5, 2015

Fort Worth: The City That Took me by Surprise
By: Rasheeda Kabba

I never really had any preconceived notions about Ft. Worth. When I would hear anything about Ft. Worth, I automatically would think of Dallas, TX. When I arrived in Ft. Worth I quickly realized how vital public transportation was there. In Oklahoma, majority of people drive cars to get from each destination. There are fewer people who use the train, a cab, or a bus. There are so many different ways to get around. The livelihood of the city itself was so vibrant. They had so many different types of restaurants, many of which had a touch of western and or cowboy culture. I did not expect there to be such cultural aspects as it did; I expected if to be more of an urban city, but to my surprise it was rural with urban accents (http://www.fortworth.com/about-fort-worth/neighborhoods-and-districts/stockyards-national-historic-district/).This makes me wonder if my preconceived notions of Puerto Rico will be validated or incorrect. From watching the movie "Yo Soy Boricua," I see that Puerto Rico has different types of Puerto Rican people; Due to the way Puerto Rico and it's people came about. Puerto Rico has traces of African, Hispanic, and other descents. They even have their own lingo. I have been to Africa before and I imagine Puerto Rico being similar in the respect that it is so rich in cultural value. Like Africa, I think Puerto Rico's citizens live less of a governing lifestyle (hence the drinking age being 18). I think things will be more laid back as far as the social life. Because I started traveling at a young age, I think it had a lot to do with the way I view people, concepts, and life itself. I think that the most beneficial thing to take with you to a foreign country is an open mind. Without it, I think one can miss many opportunities to get to know new people, try new things, and altogether just have fun.

Castillo San Felipe

Fort Worth Stock Yards (taken by: Rasheeda Kabba)

No comments:

Post a Comment