Puerto Rico

Friday, May 12, 2017

The Power of Travel
by Ajia Meux

I didn’t leave my home state until I was 18. I flew from San Francisco, on a six-hour flight, to Honolulu, Hawaii. The water, sand, people and food of Hawaii were breathtaking. I caught the travel bug.

Xunantunich Mayan Ruins, July 2011
Photo Credit: Ajia Meux
I didn’t leave the country until I was 30. I flew from Newark, New Jersey to Frankfurt, Germany and stayed for two whole weeks. I navigated the transit system, traversed Deutschland culture, and learned enough German to order from McDonalds and Starbucks.

Since then, I’ve been to Mexico, Jamaica, Belize, Guatemala, Bahamas, Japan, China and France. I have come to learn that this world is really big and everyone is just trying to find their way in it. There is power in learning new things and being able to master living in what is not comfortable. All of this is what continues to fuel my desire to travel.

My first hotpot experience in Shanghai, China, 2012
Photo Credit: Ajia Meux
What do I want to be when I grow up? At nearly forty, I’m still not one hundred percent sure of that answer. What I do know is, whatever I choose to do, I need to be able to mix IT and travel. I need to sit on a beach and hammer a proposal out for a client. I need to mix business with learning a new language from a native speaker. I need to conduct webinars at a local restaurant, eating local, indigenous foods. I need to be able to look up at same moon in different places all over the earth knowing that I am part of something bigger than myself. 

Contact Information
Ajia Meux
ajiameux@ou.edu
www.tallandloud.com


No comments:

Post a Comment