Puerto Rico

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Why travel writing?


by T. M. Boyd
Why I Want to Study in Puerto Rico
            I am interested in the travel writing class for a number of reasons, chief among them being that I live for traveling (almost as much as I live for writing) and would love to have a career that incorporates both writing and international travel.  Previously I have lived in South Korea and Bolivia, and I have travelled to many amazing places, including Cuba.  It would be wonderful to be able to share those experiences with more than my nieces and nephews.
            Additionally, I would like to educate the American public about some of the issues overseas that we as Americans are fortunate enough not to encounter in our everyday lives.  Things that we take for granted, like turning on the tap and having potable water, or flipping a light switch and having the lights come on, are the exception for most of the world, not the norm.  And yet, despite these challenges, the world is filled with wondrous places and exceptional people that can teach us a great deal about living, if we are only intelligent enough to listen.
Finally, I would like to study in Puerto Rico so that I can visit an American territory, which I have never done before, and travel to a new place (at least new to me).  This class is also an excellent opportunity to exercise my rusty Spanish.  Most importantly, this class is an opportunity to learn a new writing skill, travel writing.



After the trip to Puerto Rico, I don’t really have anything to add to my original application essay, although I have to admit the second paragraph gets pretty preachy.  It is difficult for me to remember that very few people have had the overseas experiences I have had.  Living in South Korea during the Asian Economic Crisis.  Living in Bolivia during a presidential election, when the country had been a stable democracy for only 20 years.  Spending a week (kind of) exploring Cuba as part of an international education conference.  And, of course, the fantastic trip to Puerto Rico, which I don’t count as international travel, though many would.  All of my travels have been magnificent and terrible, uplifting and heartbreaking, and above all, educational.
I meant what I said about the world being filled with wondrous places and people, both good and bad.  I also meant what I said about Americans not being particularly skilled at listening (more on that in a later entry).  Most importantly, I am deeply committed to sharing the world with those unable (or unwilling) to experience it for themselves.  Hopefully this guest blog will be a successful launching pad.

No comments:

Post a Comment